The Zimbabwean government has stepped up its fight against the cholera outbreak that continues to ravage Harare, the country’s capital, as well as other districts across the country.
Jenfan Muswere, the Minister of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services, said Tuesday that there were 1,744 new suspected cholera cases reported during the week ending Thursday, compared to 1,259 registered the previous week.
Harare and Chitungwiza recorded the highest number of suspected cases during the period, Muswere said.
Two rural districts of Zvishavane and Mbire reported suspected cases during the period, as the outbreak continues to spread across the country, he said.
He said the government has so far set up 46 cholera treatment camps in the affected areas, while oral rehydration points are being set up in communities to bring services closer to the people.
“Case management and rapid response team’s training sessions are ongoing using workstations, on-the-job and classroom methods to improve on disease management. Furthermore, health education on cholera prevention and control measures including hygiene promotion is ongoing in all provinces,” Muswere said at a post-cabinet media briefing.
He said the training of city health promoters in Chitungwiza and Harare started this week targeting 300 community members who will spearhead door-to-door campaigns while community dialogues, inter-faith discussions and sensitization of key stakeholders on cholera are planned for the coming week in high cholera incidence districts.
“Cabinet has reiterated that there is need to improve water, sanitation and hygiene in communities. To that end, the Cabinet wishes to restate that where the local authorities are failing to provide infrastructure, the government will continue to strengthen interventions,” he said. ■